10 September 2006

Broken thoughts from Africa (in a hurry, sorry)

So Michele and I are back in Sanankoroba for the time being. We ran into Bamako today to grab some cheeseburgers at our favorite restaurant 'Broadway Cafe' to take a small little escape from the stagnation of rice everyday at homestay. Actually, our homestay food really isn't so bad anymore. I have really been getting used to the food the Chef Mamadou household prepares for us. Last night Michele and I had a loaf of bread with fried eggs, tomatos, and onions (fried egg sandwiches!). Things are really starting to fall into place here in Africa. It seems like every time the big group of us trainees gets together we find out another person has dropped out and gone home - Michele and I seem to still be going strong. Honestly, so far, food is the only weak point - but it is just 2 weeks before we are shipped out to site for good and we will finally not have to rely on anyone else to feed us. I see a lot of eggs in my future.
I really don't have enough time on this computer to really get into much else - I miss everyone back home, Happy Birthday Dad! This past week we started getting into the training of our different sectors, I am Water and Sanitation, Michele is Health Education. We still basically go to class all day long seven days a week. Cross culture, language, and sector training.
Children ride around on donkeys in the streets, people hate dogs and hit them whenever they come near, traffic usually consists of sheep or cattle in the road, the mosque next to our house sounds off 5 times a day (the first one is at 5am!) (other than last night when someone was on the mosque loudspeaker from 6pm to at least midnight). The days are extremely hot - but it is suprising how quickly you get used to it. You sweat a lot, but get used to it too. Life isn't bad here. I miss the US but life isn't bad here. Michele and I know we can do this.

3 comments:

Brit said...

you guys gotta keep me informed on who (else) called it quits!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michele and Tim,
I hate to have to communicate this like this but Michele I got a letter from the IRS concerning last years taxes. They stated that you didn't send and electronic or paper signed form, so pls tell me how you filed so I can figure this out, or where I can look to figure this out. Did you make copies of your return? Did you use Turbo tax? Anyway I've got to get this info. Mom got back from Hawaii on Tues. She sounds good. Gary is really doing well in school, of course I'm pushing for better. Jessica and I are still planning her 21st Birthday and it's going to be quite the party. Your Dad just called a minute ago and and he shot his first deer of the season with his bow. He sounded very excited. It is really late so I've got to go. I love you and hope things are going well. Grandma and Laury were sending your pkg this week. Your Dad sent you a letter yesterday. Just a couple of things to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tim and Michele Glad to see that the bogg is working again. Dad did not have much of a birthday we were at Wake for a football game and celebrating Tina 21st birthday early. Beth rented a limo for her and friends to go partying on the 23th. Sorry to hear about the other vol leaving I know you and Michele will stick it out take care love you and miss you.