30 May 2006

Graduation...

Ok, so I graduated. I suppose the whole no-more-school thing had to happen before the Peace Corps could really become a reality. So I've done it. I must admit that the whole thing was pretty surreal. I mean, I feel like one day I woke up and I was in college and the next day I was wearing some stupid hat, sweating in the middle of our football field waiting for them to call my majors out so I could stand up. ( I know, my college is totally lame. We don't actually get to walk across anything because there are too many people.) NowI work about 37 hours per week--- I help lazy-ass people who refuse to figure shit out for themselves all day. I work for the UGA helpdesk, where we troubleshoot computery junk for staff, faculty, and students. The thing is that normally everything we deal with is unbelieveably self-explanatory. Most of these people just want someone to do everything for them. It's pretty hilarious how some of the most esteemed, and supposedly brilliant professors call here with the simplest 'problems'. Therefore I have decided that whomever or whatever determines who is intelligent is a clearly flawed process of elimination.

So Mali.... the lovely aspects Tim always seems to fail to mention are the negatives--- some of which I will gladly point out now. First, the diseases. Holy shit--- I feel like I need my very own space suit to walk around in, or maybe some kind of bubble. With the 4 different kinds of meningitis, cholera, typhoid, some crazy worm that's in their water that gets into your blood vessels, malaria---- I'm sure there are some I am leaving out. I figure that in order to get all of these vaccinations, they might have to put me to sleep! Anyway, here's hoping Tim and I get none of the above, including what I left out. Other issues include, but are not limited to: the climate, the lack of food/water, no electricity, the subservient woman role, the likely loss of friends we make due to AIDS, AIDS in general, Hippo attacks, locusts, language barriers, the hot season, the raining season, the fact that we are prohibited from driving anything---- I believe that's all I've got thus far. Naturally, Tim is the optimist. Ok, sick of writing. Back to work.

1 comment:

faceyboy said...

Well your willingness to serve despite reservations says a lot. The role of women thing is huge. You are brave. Although, I must state, I can't promise not to fully embrase the machismo culture. Be forwarned. JUST KIDDING. We enlightened boys promise to be kind (especially Tim). ;) See y'all next month.