25 May 2006

The Guide Has Arrived...

Yesterday I received in the mail from Amazon.com the guidebooks to Mali and Western Africa and the two maps I ordered last Friday. Needless to say, I spent most of yesterday reading up on some of the things I can expect to find in Mali. One of the nice things that the Brandt guidebook points out is the locations of internet cafes in most of the larger cities so it is fairly feasible that Michele and I will have opportunities to continue this blog like we've been promising people.

Wildlife: there are birds, jackals, elephants, hippos, gazelle, and monkeys in Mali, but all are scarce because the non-desert parts of Mali are swarming with humans. The maps show villages every few kilometers along the roads all over the southern part of the country. Not a lot of space is left for animals, but there are a few national parks and reserves that are pretty sizeable, so maybe we'll get a chance to visit some of those. The guidebooks do say that Mali is not the country to visit if you want a safari so we really shouldn't get our hopes up too much. Hippos are common in certain parts of the Niger River in the eastern side of the country, but frankly, I wouldn't mind avoiding them as they are the most dangerous animals in Africa. Apparently they kill more people per year than snakes, crocodiles, and lions combined. They are extremely aggressive and territorial, so I think I will respect their wishes and stay away.

Food: Variety is said to be the condition of harmony, the soul of pleasure, the spice of life. Malian food is none of these things. Our diet for the next two years will consist of lots and lots of rice most often with some kind of peanut sauce. For those who know me best, there is no single food that I have despised more since early childhood than peanut butter. But don't worry about me, I will find a way to manage. It's all mind over matter when it comes to taste anyways, right?
Couscous, spaghetti, and millet are the other staples of the Malian diet. Occasionally, we'll get chicken and sometimes beef and goat. If we ever have fish, it will be capitaine. I'm not sure exactly what that is, but it is fairly common in villages near the Niger River. Mangos are extremely common, and oranges are often imported in large numbers from countries south of Mali. Orange juice is common, pineapple and lime juices are less common, but still there. Bottled water is everywhere since it is the only reliable way to drink water in the region. Coke, Fanta, and Sprite are easy to come by as well. Alcohol is pretty easy to find also.

Interesting points: Malians are considered to be a very tolerant people. The population is between 80% and 90% Muslim and there is no conflict with the region's Catholic, Protestant, or animist populations. Because giving alms is one of the primary important beliefs of Islam, it is commonplace to ask for a doggie bag when you do not finish your meal at a restaurant. You are supposed to give the leftover food to a hungry person on the street. In my case, I hope they like peanut butter.

No comments: