04 May 2006

Mali or bust!

Thus far in the process, I must admit: I have truly hated the Peace Corps and their bureaucratic system of BS. The medical crap, forcing me to get my wisdom teeth out (and simultaneously putting Tim further into debt to pay for it), forcing Tim to get a molded mouth guard instead of spending $20 on an over-the-counter one (cha-ching another $700), all of which I feel was unnecesary. I suppose it's possible that my wisdom teeth could turn out to be a problem, and maybe Tim's teeth grinding at night could cause (who the hell knows what) ___?____... but was it all really necessary?

That being said, I have gottten over it (as of a couple of days ago) thanks to them telling us where we are going. So we are going to Mali, and don't you know I made sure my Mom knew everything bad about the location all at once. I figure if she knows everything negative about the country from the beginning that things will only get better. (Unless of course I get malaria, one of four letters worth of meningitis, some kind of worm, typhoid, etc.) Knowing how awesome my immune system is, I am pretty much counting on getting malaria at some point. I need white blood cell shots!
Anyway, I am kinda sad that we are landlocked (I was thinking we would be stationed somewhere along the Ivory Coast), but I'm sure it will still be totally kick ass. I am worried about knowing enough French to get around in the country, especially since this semester is the first time I have ever been exposed to it. (Apparently I wasted 4 semesters worth of Spanish) However, I am pretty sure that the training period in Mali will definitely be boot campish enough to turn me into a French-speaking African by week 6!
On another note, I hate school, papers, finals, professors with huge egos, and paper finals. There is not enough time in the day dammit! I cannot wait for Hilton Head and to see all my family, hang out on the beach, and read shit I want to read.

1 comment:

faceyboy said...

Don't worry, when they test us for French proficiency I'll be cheating off you. But HEY! I speak Spanish fluently. See yah in Mali.. uh. I guess I'll just see you guys at staging.