First real post from Mali
Aw ni ce! Hello everyone! Michele and I just made it to Bamako after two weeks in Sanankoroba with our host family. I'm really sorry that I'm not going to be able to post pictures yet as the connection in this internet cafe is really slow. Here is the run down on what has been going on so far:
The Peace Corps split up the big group of 70 something volunteers so that we can better learn the language here. Michele, I and 7 other volunteers were sent to the large village of Sanankoroba about 35 km south of the capital of Bamako. We live with a Malian family in this town of about 7000 people. It is actually one of the larger towns that PC people have been sent to. No running water, no electricity (other than what you can make yourself - people have solar panels charging car batteries that they use to power phones and televisions). We actually live with the chief of the village! Chef Mamadou Traore. Being the chief isn't much of a real job, he still wakes up at 6am to go work in the fields with all the other men (baarake foro la). Being the chief is more of a figurehead role - I've seen other people come into our household the tell their troubles to the chef.(in Mali you are not going to be invited into someone's house because it is expected that you are always welcome. - in fact, if you don't invite yourself over often enough, you are considered rude). Michele and I were given Malian names, and our host father and mother actually gave us their very names - I introduce myself as Chef Mamadou Traore and Michele is now Ashiata Samanke (the women keep their last names here because often the men have more than one wife - but never more than 4). Our father is Muslim and excuses himself to pray 5 times a day (one of these prayer calls is at 5am every morning). Being the chef, he has a nice house directly next to the mosque - we have a beautiful view of the minaret tower from our courtyard and we get front row seats for the prayer calls every few hours. They used to wake us up at 5am but I think we are beginning to adapt to the whole situation.
Before I have to go I have much more to say: this city boy from Atlanta has plucked his first chicken! To make dinner with our teachers (they are Malian) the other night we had to buy 3 chickens - Musa, my Bambaran instructor is a very traditional Muslim and had to say certain prayers before he killed the chickens (yes they were alive when we bought them and actually one wasn't tied up very well and we had to give chase for a few minutes. A small Malian boy showed us up and caught the thing himself while I and two other PC guys looked like a bunch of Tubab fools chasing a chicken. So far, this whole thing has been one crazy experience. Michele and I absolutely love our host family, they are the nicest people we have met so far (we haven't met any non-nice people). The food takes a lot of getting used to as I'm sure michele will explain in a few minutes--
Thru this whole thing so far I can't help but wonder why I am even here. These people are not suffering. There is no widespread disease and pain. These people do not have the same basic technological goods that we have in the US, but they do not suffer at all. They manage. It has been completely inspiring that I have seen people live with all the luxuries I'm used to. Our host brother rides a donkey and cart into the market everyday to get bananas. Our host father's bicycle wheel was bent, so he rode it into town and hammered it straight again. These people get by just fine and I am impressed moreso than I am shocked by this culture. I really do like it here. There hasn't been any need for a big adjustment - thing seem to be progressing naturally.
OK, now its time for michele-tqlk. p.s. this is a french keyboard qnd none of the letters qre zorking right. so i am going to lose a million pounds while being here because the food is crap: they mean well; but it is still crap. I need pnut butter; and those shirts aunt diane got me from the limited; or something similar. I love it here so far and my bambara is really progressing: my professor told me i was the best in his class: yay: ok; so i need a box with nothing but jiff creamy pnut butter: i am starving: everything here is madewith dried fish: or sketch meat: the host family is awesome and they ask us questions and help us practice language: basically everything tim said i agree with: even the whole they arentsuffering bit:::: its weird: word oyut to jessica)))) iùll bring you back some african clothing: i went to the tailor yesterday and got some new african shite)))) its awesome: p:s: we plan on coming home: i will need to load the hump you know what i mean: ok; i miss you guys: i wish i could talk more often; but other than the food i am doing very well: the malians love the scrapbook and my professors think breyers quote is amazing: i sweat a lot: i never have enough water i am always thirsty: its been great: heres hoping the future holds good things for tim and i:
i love you)) grandma; laury; greg; greggy; adam; glenda the glendanator::::: jessica; mom; gary gene; dad)))
gary gene: tell dad: dad be boji min: it means that dad drinks diarhea: ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
5 comments:
Hey Michele and Tim, I sent your first pkg today. We are talking big$$$$$. Please find out how other PC are getting pkgs. To send you something for example 10 lbs is $300 , 20# is $500. It's crazy. It sounds like you are doing well. Michele eat... pretend it an open face roast beef sandwich like the one you has in Vegas. So what do you Malian name mean? I'm praying that the pkg I sent you guys make it. Let me know that evewrything gets there ok and when it gets there. It will go out tomorrow 08/16. Love you both, Mom
Hi Michele & Tim. Tried to write a letter earlier in the week but did not have the skill to do it properly. Everyone here is doing well. Gary is back to school, not up to speed yet but we are working on it. Jessica is back to school and is still working. Mom & I are still working 12-16 hours per day. Mom is thinking about getting her a new car. A Soltice; basically it is a two seater, roadster looking car. One seat is for her and one is for Lucy. Jessica is a little put out by that but mom is pretty serious about her and her dog cruising for dudes. Have been working a lot on the property that we are going to hunt on. Gary is really looking forward to his first real kill. I have been tearing out trees mowing, getting chiggers, poison oak and poison ivy all over my body. It has been real work but I am enjoying it a lot. Well I should go back to work now. Hope you are both well and are enjoying what you are doing. We look forward to seeing you whenever you are coming.
Love you,
DAD
Hey Tim and Michele. Glad to hear you are still enjoying it and that it is not to much of an adjustment. I am mailing you a letter today to test and see how long it will take. Reading Michele's mom email about the cost of sending packages is scary. We are all well and leave the 19th to take Tina back to school and will be gone for a week. Take care we love you and miss you alot. Mom
Hey, its me again. I wanted you to know that the pkg actually left yesterday, 08/17. It got help up because first it need a special tag that my work didn't have and then it needed a customs invoice of what was inside. Hopefully you'll get it. I'm so exhausted, I've worked a billion hours this week and still have to work 8-8 tomorrow(Sat.). Jessica wants to go dress shopping for her Birthday party she is having. Her invites turned out really great. I was going to send you one but I thought more practical stuff was more important. Please let me know when you get the pkg. Are they delivered to where you are staying or do you have to go into some city to get them? Gary Gene and Jessica are fighting like cats and dogs, its crazy! I'm glad you are sharing your scrapbook and that you are enjoying it while you are away. That's what is was intended for. Well hope this finds both of you in good health and good spirits.
Eat Michele eat! Put some bullion in the food. I did send yopu some goodies. We got you post card yesterday, so it took a total of 18 full days to get here. It was dated 07/30 and got here 08/17. talk to you soon.
Love,
Mom
Hey, Got your message that you received our pkg. So glad you got it, that was fast. It took probably 1 week. So did you actually get everything? I'm glad it it came before your starved to death. Note to anyone that reads this. Try priority mail through the US post office, I think it will cost a lot less and it is much more convenient. Also include a card with what you sent inside, so if something is missing at least we all would know it. Peanut butter, and dry soup pkgs are now on the next want list. I hope you all enjoyed the goodies. Take care, enjoy all the momments, miss you.
Love ,Mom
PS Gary went to his first confirmation class.
Post a Comment