30 September 2006

Volunteers! aka We Made It!!

So this is my first post as a Peace Corps Volunteer and not a Peace Corps Trainee! It has all become official. Michele and I (and the rest of the bunch) were sworn in yesterday morning at the US ambassador's house in a much more flashy ceremony than I first assumed. I knew the ambassador and much of the Peace Corps staff would be there, but I had no idea that several Malian government officials and the village chefs etc would be there.
Damn it feels good to be a PCV now. We took lots of photos after the ceremony and then headed back to the Bureau in downtown Bamako to sign the official government paperwork- then it was off to the hotel Le Refuge to save a mattress (our room for the night consisted of the rooftop conference room and some 15 mattresses sans pillows). Then we returned to the ambassador's house for the pool party (and the open bar!) After that we were cut loose onto the city of Bamako for the first real bit of free time since getting to Mali. We hung out with a bunch of the more experienced PCVs (and basically learned that in the next 2 years we will most likely become just as insane as they are).

So here is the plan for the next little bit: Michele and I are in Bamako and Tubani So until tomorrow. Sunday we leave via public transport to Sikasso ville where we will stay with Trinh and a few other people while we wait for the Peace Corps to show up - we will get to shop around for stuff we want to furnish our house with. Then, on Tuesday, we get to celebrate my birthday in Sikasso. On Wednesday, we go with Claudine (our region APCD) and take all our stuff out to Blendio where we will live for the next 2 years.

Basically, the first 3 months we won't do much other than try to learn the language and get to meet a lot of the locals. After the 3 months, we return to the training center in Tubaniso for 2 weeks of intensive sector training and then return to Blendio for the real deal.
This really is the start of our adventure. In a few days Michele and I will be out on our our without the Peace Corps holding our hands every step of the way. Just a few days left until real PC life begins....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim and Michele Congratulations are be coming offical Peace Corp volunteers. We knew you could do it. It will be getting really exciting now that you will be on your own. Nice House!! Happy 23th Birthday Tim. We are thinking of you and missing you alot. Take and all our love to the both of you
love Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim Happy birhday Tomorrow. Hope you and Michele are very Happy. Love Uncle Mickey & Aunt Liz

Brit said...

Congrats you two!!! Have a great time in Blendo and say hello to everyone for me!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATs Tim and Michele....you guys are official now. And Happy Birthday Tim. I can't believe that you are 23 and on the other side of the world. I am in the process of writing you guys a real letter and I will send it with your bday card. I am trying really hard to at least mail it on your birthday since it obviously won't get there by your birthday. Love you both your big sis Pam.