Big Day #1 --- Tomorrow
So - now that Michele and I are PCVs, we are eagerly looking to get started in the real life of the Peace Corps. Tomorrow is our big day. We are sitting in Sikasso ville right now buying the furniture, cooking utensils, etc that we believe we will need for the next two years and tomorrow morning Claudine (our chef du mission and Michele's APCD) will stop by the hotel to pick us and all our stuff up to take us to Blendio. After that life begins.
In all honesty, this whole thing is a bit daunting. Our language skills are decent, but not that great; I'm not so sure as to how to even get started at site. I will have a 7km bike ride a day to Kassoumbougou that will be fun, but I'm still not 100 percent about how I am supposed to interact with my homologue (my village partner). He is a well respected elder of the village who has had 2 previous volunteers, so things should only be new to me and not so much to him. So far in Mali, when I haven't had enough Bambara skills to communicate I switch to a Bambara/French combo, but no one in my village speaks French. I really feel like I am about to be thrown into the deep end to either sink or swim - which really isn't that bad since I always thrive in those kinds of situations. The first three months I'm really not supposed to do anything anyways - just work on language and start to get to know people in the village. It will be a good time to start to get a feel for the Malian way of life and how to really live on our own.
We arrived in Sikasso Sunday, and for the past few days have been hanging with a few of the PCVs here getting to know them and the area. Today, being my birthday, has so far been one of my more interesting birthdays. I've been yalayala-ing through the Sikasso market looking for an assortment of goods, getting into the same arguements with many of the people here about why Traore's are a ka nyi and why Diarra's be sho dun (eat beans). Tonight we (those of us left - me, my Michele, the other Michele, Trinh, and Brooke) plan on cooking a 'one last hurrah' American dinner before we all ship out tomorrow; cheesy noodles with ground beef, garlic bread, and guacamole.
It is hard to pinpoint exactly how I feel right now. I am nervous for tomorrow, yet extremely excited at the same time. This coming week wil probably be the most difficult, at least for me just trying to get my head around what needs to happen and what I will be doing for the next two years. - Oh, and it may be getting a little easier for Michele and I to get in touch with everyone back home (or easier for you all to get a hold of us); the PC gave us a cell phone! Thing is, it broke within us having it for a few hours - it didn't break until we left Tubaniso for Sikasso so that it is much more difficult to get the PC to fix it. This may take a few weeks. To all those who will want it:
Our phone number: 011 223 517 4791
The 011 is what you dial to get an international call while in the US, the 223 is the Mali country code and the 517 4791 is our personal cell phone. Like I said earlier, it doesn't quite work at the moment but in the next few weeks it should be up again and you all will finally have a direct line to us in case you ever want to talk.
Other than that, I don't have much to say at the moment. Life doesnt feel any different since swear-in since I havent had to actually do anything- but everything will change out in the brouce (bush) tomorrow. The fact that my birthday is today will make it much easier to keep track of how long I spend at site.
P.S. If anyone is interested, Michele and I have been looking into maybe coming back to the States next July or August. Also, if anyone wants to visit us, give us a few months to get the language down and then all are welcome.
We love you all and thank you for the birthday wishes. I will be eating good tonight (and I had steak yesterday - Sikasso steak is the best) so dont worry about us. We miss you all.
5 comments:
Tim, Happy Birthday again. I have just a few minutes but I wanted to write since you talked about coming. It is looking real good for Pam to be engaged soon. She is hoping for a spring or early fall wedding if all goes as plan and she gets in engaged soon. I would like to bring you and Michele home for that. Will keep you info as soon as it happens. But Dave has her looking at rings but says that that doesnot mean it will happen real soon. Take care and I know you will do great in your new village. Love Mom
Timothy Maher - How the hell are you brother? This is Zack Grimmig - I know you know that name from H.S. First off I am gonna just say I miss you like crazy man. Hows things over seas? I see you met a beautiful female. Maybe when you get back in the states we can all get together and catch up on things. If you would go ahead and shoot me a quick email at nauticasurfer223@aol.com so I have your email address so we can stay in contact. I facebooked your sister and she told me about your Peace Corps. Very pround kind sir. Well, I know you are a busy soul so give the girl my love and yourself a hug and I will talk to you soon..
Zack Grimmig
Oh.. =) Happy birthday buddy!
Zack Grimmig
How's site? Gonna see y'all at the Halloween party? word.
Hello from Georgia,
I've been thinking about you guys like crazy lately. I hope you are all doing well at your site. I've put another box together and plan on sending it this week, via DHL at the new address you gave me.So look for a pkg soon.The last one got there within a week so I'm hoping it has the same success the last one had. Mom and Laury are still waiting and wondering if you recived the package that they sent on 09/17. If you would let them know status that would be good. Things here are ok. I'm having surgery for my arm on Nov 9th. Its an out patient thing so no big deal. I should be back to work in about 2 weeks and in physical therapy for about 3 months. We still haven't heard a for sure thing about the house. Gary ahs been getting trouble in school and has been grounded for 2 weeks. Jessica seems on course with a plan, which is good. She did really well in school this past quarter. Gary is enjoying the season. Its hunting season which he loves. I hope everything is going ok. I worry when I don't hear from you. I think we got spoiled by hearing from you every week in some form or way. Food and fun stuff is on the way soon. Just hope you get it! We love you both and miss you lots.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment