ET
ET= early termination
Yes, ladies and gentlemen we have officially quit and are now in the U.S. I must admit thus far the whole experience seems pretty surreal... Anyway, there was only so much I could take in terms of being extremely unhealthy. Right before we left, in addition to the kidney stones, I also accrued malaria (again) and then giardia (intestinal parasite). So we were supposed to leave earlier, but the medical office decided it would not be best for me to leave with three different things going on--- not to mention the fact that I was on like 6-7 different meds, which ended up equaling about 15-20 pills per day. It felt like I was a 90 year old trying to hold onto life, when hello---- I am 24.
It took the two of us several months to reach the quitting-conclusion, but I definitely said that if I ever got 'very sick' again that I was going to quit--- and like magic one week later, exactly 2 days before we were supposed to go on vacation with some friends to Ghana, the kidney stones arrived. Let me just say.... kidney stones are probably the most painful thing I have ever encountered--- so basically hope it never happens to you. Funny thing is, the PC medical officers told me that Malian water was most likely the cause of the problem. (the water having many more minerals, and it being impossible to stay adequately hydrated here = malian kidney stones)
So where do we go from here? Who knows? I sure as hell don't. I have some vague 'plans', but nothing really deserving of being called a plan. Right now I am going to try to let me body get back to normal, eventually I'll get a job I suppose, maybe move to CA (lots of family there)... all I know right now is that quitting was the right decision. And as Tim said, sometimes it is more difficult to quit than it is to stay. I would say that I have to agree. It's not like all of my 'plans' thus far have actually been plans anyway. There is this quote in The Dark Tower book 7 (not that I read it, but I live vicariously through Tim sometimes) that says something to the effect of 'people who end up exactly where they thought they would be, end up shooting their faces off.' I never thought I would leave any university with three degrees (it's kind of obnoxious actually); I never thought I would be legally married at 22; I never thought I would actually live in Africa or join the Peace Corps; I never thought I would quit and end up where I am now (Byron, GA).... but I am okay with it all--- or rather I am happy with everything. C'est la vie.
4 comments:
OK so why do I have to find these things out via BLOG???? YOU GUYS!! I'm really going to miss you two. Though it probably soils your reputation for saying it, I have to say that you guys were really cool and I hope you live up the America place for those of us sweating our balls off. OK? Tim, I'll never forget our romantic banana split. Married michele, I'll miss harrasing you just to see if you could tell i was joking. Sorry I won't get to see you guys around. TAKE CARE! Does tim get these notes too? oh well he's clever he'll figure it out.
Yeah! Thanks for telling me you were leaving!! And I still have you're dog dammit!
But I totally understand. After so much sickness I would quit too. I really wish you guys the best of luck.
Bogo is doing fine. He enjoys my village but my jatigi's dog beats his ass all the time. They don't get along at all. Through out my dog sitting I've realiwed that I'm not a dog person. Infact I'm getting another cat soon.
My first cat was petrified of Bogo, wouldn't come home, got into a fight one night and got his paw dislocated. Now he limps around on 3 paws and a stump. My next cat is a companion for him so he won't be too depressed. His pidgeon catching days are gone. As soon as I get back to Mali (currently in senegal) I'm going to ask Trinh to come get him.
Well, take care. I hope you all don't drop off the face of the earth. Keep in touch and read my blog.
"juliana"
miss you already. thanks for the batteries adn the salsa, i assume that was you. keep it real and stay cool
M & T!!!
I am so sorry to see you two go - I'm just glad I got the chance to say goodbye in Bamako before you left. Segoukaw was really happy to have had you and wished you could have been here longer but it seems people somehow ET out of here more often.
I hope you're eating lots of goodies (ie chocolate) and enjoying all that ameriki has to offer. We'll keep in touch. Keet it real.
Yuri and the rest of Segoukaw
Post a Comment