Introduction
So I think I got a little ahead of myself with the first post. If anyone is going to understand what this blog is, I should probably tell you about the 'behind the scenes' type stuff. It will all just make a little more sense that way.
Michele and I have decided to take a stab at joining the Peace Corps. Well, more than a stab, actually. We are joining (assuming I get past the medical clearance).
They are sending us to Africa because for some reason, they feel that my six years experience with the French language makes me 'proficient'. I can assure you now, I am not. Far from it. My living in Paris for 9 months seems to have not helped all that much either. Michele is constantly getting frustrated with me when I cannot help her enough on her French I assignments. The other part of the frustration comes from the fact that she's forced to take French on top of an already full course load for her final semester at UGA.
So yeah, anyways- we don't know where in Africa yet. I'm not medically cleared (due to the speedbump known as government). I've turned everything in, my doctor never said anything was wrong, so it's really just trying to get through the bureaucracy now. I've spent a small fortune in dental expenses so far because the Peace Corps is extremely anal. Damn $680 mouth guard. People are supposed to join the Peace Corps when they are poor and have nothing else to lose, but apparently not. Oh well. I'm sure I'll rant on more of that later. Once I get to Africa, life will be beautiful again. No more 9-5 (or in my case 6:20am - 7:20 pm). No more Atlanta traffic. No more Athens to Atlanta everyday ($$$ gas).
So to introduce anyone out there who doesn't know: I'm an architect, I live in Athens with Michele and I work in Atlanta. Michele is finishing up her fifth year of college to get her three majors.
The summary:
Michele and I -Peace Corps - going to Africa in July - going to being loving life. We've set up this blog to document our trip, everything leading up to it, photos, thoughts, reactions, etc. Also, it's a simple way of keeping in touch with friends and family when we're in the heart of the dark continent.
No comments:
Post a Comment